Blackburn Royal Infirmary
The Infirmary officially opened its doors in 1864. In 1893 a Nurses Home was erected in the grounds. The Infirmary was further extended in 1897 when the “Victoria Wing” was built to commemorate the diamond jubilee of the Queen. This new wing contained an Operating Theatre and Sterilising Room, Anaesthetic Room, Recovery Room, and a new ward on the first floor. Further extensions were made in 1908, which included space for 14 more beds; the total number of beds had now reached 130.
On the 21st of April 1914 by a decree of King George V, the word “Royal” was officially added to the title, it was, in future to be known as “ The Blackburn and East Lancashire Royal Infirmary.”
After 150 of use it was decided that there was no more room for expansion and a new super complex began to be built at Queens park on the site of the old workhouse. By July 2006 most of the services had moved to the new Hospital.
The site of the Infirmary was sold to Barratt Homes, with permission for 253 homes, only the War Memorial wing will be retained for redevelopment